Frequently Asked Questions
What are the IRB's strategies for development?
In terms of training and education the IRB has the following strategies:
- Provide best practise Train the Trainer and Educator programmes
- Provide appropriate and relevant game analysis research
- Provide access to Rugby participation programmes to introduce players to the Game, e.g. Tag, Touch, Sevens, etc
- Train more coaches and referees worldwide
- Making training and education resources available to coaches, players, referees and teachers
- Work with Regional staff to to create awareness of training and education programmes
- Developing officiating accreditation courses
- Developing coaching accreditation courses
- Liaise with Unions in the development of products
- Utilise the services of leading unions to develop and deliver IRB programmes
- Using available and relevant technology to provide and deliver training and education products
- Develop interactive web based training tools
How do I register for courses?
In the first instance you should contact your local union - for contact details on each of the Member Unions of the IRB select your union from the 'Pick your Union' list top-right on each page on this website. This takes you to union-specific information including latest news, results and fixtures and also organisation contacts.
In the second instance contact your local IRB Regional Training Co-ordinator. These are as follows:
| North America Carribean Rugby Association (NACRA)
|South America (CONSUR)||Alejandro Deganoemail@example.com|
|Africa (CAR) English-speaking||Denver Wanniesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Africa (CAR) French-speaking||Adama Bakhoum
|Asia (ARFU)||Gene Tongemail@example.com|
|Oceania (FORU)|| Talemo Waqa
|Europe (FIRA-AER)||Douglas Langleyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
For any other queries contact IRB centrally:
Mark Harrington, IRB Training & Medical Manager
Work Tel: +353 1 240 9294
Jennifer Wilson, IRB Technical Services Administrator
Work Tel: +353 1 240 9213
How is certification managed and what kind of certification will I receive after the courses?
Triple branded certificates will be produced demonstrating the Union, Regional Association and IRB logo. These certificates will be sent electronically as PDFs or printed as hard copy and sent to the Union or Educator that delivered the course.
What are the timescales for the redevelopment of courses?
All courses are rewritten every three years. In 2012 the following courses are being rewritten:
- Coaching Match Officials / Performance Review
- Level 1 Coaching
- Level 1 Match Officiating
- 21 April - Legendary Black Fern Anna Richards on coaching the Hong Kong Women's Sevens team
- 20 April - Tyler Ardron and Jeff Hassler look back on playing for Canada at the Junior World Rugby Trophy
- 19 April - Titi Lamositele Feature
- 18 April - Raef Morrison on living in Hong Kong and playing Sevens and Fifteens for the country
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show